Tuesday 10 January 2023

Schrodinger's Train: Potsdam, Dresden

 Schrodinger's Train Paperback

Ebook now available, but not currently showing*.


To accompany the paperback version of Schrodinger's Train, my first writing work since March 2017, I would like to share some photographs from the journey. 

I've selected items I have mentioned in the book and some extras. I have some brilliant videos too, but it is years since I have been here, and on You Tube, so please forgive me for being a bit rusty.

By the time I reach The Netherlands, I reckon I shall be up to speed on the Tech :-D 

As I have already written 64k words, I'll keep the literary side of this exercise to an absolute minimum, though there are outtakes which didn't make it to the book I will include, like the one below.

For those of you who would enjoy a Free PDF of Schrodinger's Train, drop me a line. I will have free copies of the paperback too towards the beginning of February.

Section 3: Potsdam, Dresden




1: Altes Rathaus (Town Hall) in Potsdam - look at 
the sky. Unbelievable.


2: St Nicholas Church, Potsdam


3: Dresden Cathedral



4: Schofplatz - close up of one of
the biggest squares in Dresden.




5: The first building you see when you alight the
train at Dresden Station at the entrance to the modern retail sector. The Old Town
is about a mile walk from here and is in complete contrast. 





6: There is modernist art all over Dresden, and a great love
of the horse (in common with the rest of Germany). Beautiful creatures...
obviously not me!


7: This piece is called either Quo Vadis or Walking Trabant. I don't
think its unique to Dresden and can be found elsewhere, including Prague. Terrific.


8: Dresden's neumarket.


9: Dresden's theatreplatz, with the castle at the centre.


10: Dresden Opera House: Sempeoper


11: Dresden Academy of Fine Arts


12: The spire of Kreuzkirche, Dresden




13: Dresden Castle (south view)




14: Sophiekirche - a beautiful building


15: The Crown Gate at the Zwinger Palace. A single photograph doesn't do this area of Dresden justice, justice, so I videoed it and will publish soon. Possibly the single most aesthetic and inspiring place I have ever visited - or seen, to be honest.


Dresden 
(Sunday 26th June, 2022)

 The whole rebuilt, regenerated and revitalised city is full of symbols of pacifism, reconciliation, and harmony between people. Seen up close, it’s both inspiring and uplifting, but also dreadfully sad. For a Briton, Dresden represents a complex set of contradictions.

The Old Town was rebuilt by the Soviets after the war and you can see all the great medieval sites rebuilt stone by stone. It is awesome, in the true sense of the word. The Zwinger Crown Gate, the amazing Palace, the Museums and their edifices.  An afternoon there wasn't anywhere near long enough.

In the end, simply: I have never seen anything as exquisite in my life as the Old Town of Dresden. 

NB: Potsdam is nice too - well worth a visit











No comments:

Post a Comment