Monday 9 January 2023

Schrodinger's Train: Berlin

 Schrodinger's Train Paperback

Ebook now available, but not currently showing*.


To accompany the paperback version of Schrodinger's Train, my first writing work since March 2017, I would like to share some photographs from the journey. 

I've selected items I have mentioned in the book and some extras. I have some brilliant videos too, but it is years since I have been here, and on You Tube, so please forgive me for being a bit rusty.

By the time I reach The Netherlands, I reckon I shall be up to speed on the Tech :-D 

As I have already written 64k words, I'll keep the literary side of this exercise to an absolute minimum, though there are outtakes which didn't make it to the book I will include, like the one below.

For those of you who would enjoy a Free PDF of Schrodinger's Train, drop me a line. I will have free copies of the paperback too towards the beginning of February.

Section 2: Berlin, Hoppegarten


0: Originally, I chose Hoppegarten
so I could go to the Office Racenight there on the last Friday
I planned to be in Berlin.
Sadly, the internet
fixture list which showed the racenight
was wrong (which happened a lot), so I never did get to go to
Hoppegarten races, but I did get to see the
racecourse itself and to walk along the 5f straight.
Lovely!


8: In Hoppegarten, a racecourse town
twenty miles outside Berlin, I stayed in a tent behind
a chateau and in front of a series of abandoned barns and
farmhouses which were rumoured to be haunted. One night,
the heavens opened (in the middle of a heatwave) and all my
possessions were saturated, either through rain or damp.
Camping is definitely for the purist! This entire accommodation, beautiful as it is, is freely
available on Airbnb throughout the summer and it is cheap and friendly.









2, 3, 4: Berlin is full of museums on
the river (described in the book).
They are absolutely beautiful
to look at and, for twenty euro, you can
visit them all. It's a great walk too and it can take
all day to see everything.






6. The Reichstag Facade and...




7: Reichstag Dome. Massive queues prevented a
personal visit but I am told it is fantastic inside.







8. The inspiring New Jewish synagogue, a symbol of hope and 
a fantastic minaret. This photo is the property of
Jewish News

NB My photo of the Brandenburg Gate was so bad, I deleted it. Suffice to say, it is a
wonderful place, a gate you can stare it for hours.



Berlin (from June 23rd 2022)

Berlin isn’t perfect, granted - Belfast is smaller, sharper and has much better beer - but it is new, brand spanking new. Immaculately clean and fresh. After the chaos of Gardner Street around Dublin station, and knowing London well (for example, the area around St Pancras and Kings Cross), Berliners have it lucky by comparison. They have it cleaner for one thing. It feels like a new city and that is, perhaps, because it is. Yet, it's simultaneously old too:You only have to stand there quietly, next to the Reichstag Dome, amidst the hustle and the bustle of the young eurobackpackers walking past, the school tours, and the smartly dressed business people off to the conference and you get that impression

















No comments:

Post a Comment