Sunday 8 January 2023

Schrodinger's Train: Northern Ireland

Schrodingers Train Paperback Version available here.



To accompany the paperback version of Schrodinger's Train, my first writing work since March 2017, I would like to share some photographs from the journey. 

I've selected items I have mentioned in the book and some extras. I have some brilliant videos too, but it is years since I have been here, and on You Tube, so please forgive me for being a bit rusty.

By the time I reach The Netherlands, I reckon I shall be up to speed on the Tech :-D 

As I have already written 64k words, I'll keep the literary side of this exercise to an absolute minimum, though there are outtakes which didn't make it to the book I will include, like the one below.

For those of you who would enjoy a Free PDF of Schrodinger's Train, drop me a line. I will have free copies of the paperback too towards the beginning of February.

Section 1: Larne; Belfast; Northern Ireland


1: Larne. Northern Ireland is full of graffiti, some 
good, some grotesque, but this was the best
piece I saw, in the centre of Larne Town. Beautiful, isn't it.

c

2: Writer's Square in Belfast. Both halves of
Ireland have a superb literary culture and
in Belfast, there is a square dedicated
to the Writer's Art. A must visit, opposite the
majestic St Ann's Cathedral



'3. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't
get the scale of Belfast City Hall Right at the centre of Belfast, it's a
majestic building that dominates the entire city. Check it out online; it's worth
the effort.

All city navigation refers to this and it makes wandering around simple.
Belfast incidentally, has one of the best ergonomic signage systems
I encountered. It's impossible to get lost in the City.



4. I have a brilliant video of Larne, which I shall post later, but generally, the weather in Larne
was foul, so my shots of the town weren't great. This one is a beautiful shot of the Irish sea taken from the Antrim Coast Road on the first afternoon I was there. I walked six miles and it is one of the
most memorable walks imaginable.



5. One of my favourite chapters in the book focuses on my
visit to Down Royal races. The day itself was, er, interesting, to say the
least. Set in Lisburn, amongst acres of prime Irish countryside, this racecourse might be 
worth a visit in winter, but certainly not in June for the Ulster Derby. Mayhem!



6. My beloved Notts County are extensively mentioned throughout
the book and I took any connected photographs I could for no other reason than selfish amusement!
Belfast, like most British cities, is a city of contrasts, with opulence adjacent to poverty. This shop is just out of the prosperous, thriving centre.



6a: Belfast's Famous Crown Pub is well worth a visit. In fact, I think
that Belfast towers over Dublin for pubs, clubs and general nightvibe, but that
might be an age thing. The interior of the Crown is something from another time. This was the 
only pub in the centre I found real ale - Timmy Taylors, Landlord - incidentally. 


(This photograph
is downloaded from the site 10 Pubs: The Traditional Irish Pub Crawl in Belfast | Ireland Before You Die)


 


The Sea Seen From The Antrim Coast Road

Subject to the rays of this burning sun, blue is an inadequate description for the sea to my right which stretches to the north west of the British mainland. The range of colours is startling. They say that Eskimos have fifty seven words for snow, how many words are there for blue in English? I didn’t know. There probably aren't enough.

 




7. Fans of 'Titanic' will know that the considered-indestructible
liner was built in Belfast at the Harland and Wolff shipyards. These are the famous
yellow cranes. There is a visitors centre and it is extremely popular. 







No comments:

Post a Comment